Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Salad a la Buffalo

When we have a really nice, hot summer day like today, I sometimes don't know what I want to eat. I got home sort of early today (for me, 5:30 is early!) and decided I needed some exercise, so I walked to the store to get something for dinner. Once I got there I realized I had no idea what I wanted to eat but I was very.very.hungry.

Then, inspiration struck! My "famous" (at least to me, I don't think I've made it for anyone else but my husband) buffalo chicken salad. So good! And so easy! And you feel like it is somewhat healthy, even though it is so not!

So here's what I got at the store:
3 ears of sweet corn (this ended up being too much corn, but oh well)
Bag of Tyson's frozen buffalo chicken boneless "wings" (really little chunks of breaded chicken breast, i also had some leftover Target brand at home that was actually even better)
Hearts of romaine bagged salad
2 small tomatoes
Light blue cheese dressing

So once I got home, I boiled some water while pre-heating the oven and cooking the chicken according to package directions (for the stuff I got it was 400 degrees for 20 min).

Once the water came to a boil, I throw in the husked corn for 3-5 minutes, then drained and cooled. Took a sharp knife and cut off the kernels into a bowl. Then chopped the tomatoes.

I arranged the romaine on a plate, and sprinkled the corn and tomatoes on the top to taste. Once the chicken is done, I placed it liberally on top of the salad and drizzle with blue cheese dressing. (you can use more or less of the chicken & dressing depending on your appetite, I generally have more chicken than I should, but usually just a nice light drizzle of dressing)

I really freakin' love this salad - to me it tastes like summer. You really need to use fresh sweet corn if at all possible to counteract the spice and processed-ness of the frozen chicken. If you want, you can also add shredded carrots or chopped celery. That's all.

No comments: